Parabens are a class of chemicals widely used as preservatives by cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. It is a cheap cosmetic preservative that is typically the 2nd most common ingredient in skincare products. They are becoming increasingly controversial because they have been found in breast cancer tumors. Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB leading to increased skin aging. There is a laundry list of negative side effects caused by parabens. It is important that we make our consumer choice count and we are aware of what we are putting on and in our bodies. Some of my favorite skincare lines that are paragon free are Beauty Counter, Be Natural Organics and Marie Veronique.
After a long year of learning, loving and growing, this is what I will take with me into 2016. Please feel free to add yours to this list.
1. Listen to your heart. How would you like to spend the days, with whom and where? 2. Slow down. Enjoy one task at a time and you'll find much more pleasure.
3. Have more "me" time. Even if it's five minutes at the end of the day. Make it a habit.
4. Do one thing that scares you. It can be big or small. Live life.
5. Say thank you more often. Gratitude is contagious.
6. Unplug. You will find the extra time to get all those things done you normally don't.
7. Forgive. This includes yourself. Let go and understand everyone is doing their best.
8. Give more than you take. Become aware of whether you are typically the giver or taker.
9. Be a mindful consumer. Start small. Buy organic or ride a bike.
10. Accept. Accept. Accept. Accept yourself, others and the things you cannot change.